I have friends who are Quakers, friends who are Unitarian Universalists, friends who Dialogue in the Bohmian tradition, friends who are Mystics, friends who are Poets, and so many other friends who live lives of wisdom and wonder... this is my account of the meeting with these friends...

Saturday, June 20, 2009

on "A Course in Miracles"

On June 1st, I started reading "A Course in Miracles", after having it on my laptop in electronic form for a couple of years now...

In the past, I found material that was "objectionable" to my sense of what wisdom was. Im here now to report, oh how wrong I was!

It is an amazing work I will say, once Ive gotten past whatever "debate energy" I wanted to bring to its use of a Trinity metaphor, and the other ways in which it might define a word... it is clear, to get past ones own objections, means to enter a true listening to exactly what is being said... the truest listening does not bring with it its particular definitions, or its insistences on what must or must not be true... a true listening will hear with much different ears, and come to understand that which is being pointed to (the "mirror of relationship" is still the main pointing here, from what Ive been hearing), rather than that which the listener already "knows"...

And so, as it turns out, the use of a Trinity metaphor (being one that I grew up with, and thus the source of this "objection") is absolutely PERFECT for what I actually NEEDED to be looking at... (go figure)

other metaphors too, that Ive heard many a time over in my lookings, but found them to be lacking (e. "life is but a dream", among others) are also coming into the fullest view, of how they apply to the truth of what has been created by THIS EGO, to keep it from being with "what is" (God, if we can allow)

As of this writing, there are probably some 400 "notes" that Ive made on the text... (mostly off of what is called the "urtext" - which is the name given the original writings of the "scribe" who took down this "information/communication", before it was edited for "print" (I know, I know, some of this description is going to get loaded with new-ageyness that, goes (or has traditionally gone) against my grain too- but thus, the truest listening that I was speaking of comes to be called)

Also, I started by reading fully what is called the "Manual for Teachers", which is easily what "hooked" me into it... there was NOTHING said there, that I could find anything BUT a deep and profound recognition in what it was communicating... and thus, I might find myself recommending this-- but even there, it really doesnt matter (and actually SHOULDNT matter) where or how one comes upon this communication...

Thus goes some accounting for what Ive been doing this past month with my time (still "homeless-and jobless", which should be demanding a post of how loosely Im insisting on using these words... perhaps something clever will come along to say what it really means, using different words, but thus far there seems to be some sort of leaning to NOT give that energy just now... just sticking to the reading of ACIM as proper use of my time)

No comments: