I have friends who are Quakers, friends who are Unitarian Universalists, friends who Dialogue in the Bohmian tradition, friends who are Mystics, friends who are Poets, and so many other friends who live lives of wisdom and wonder... this is my account of the meeting with these friends...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the Transition Town movement

YouTube - TRANSITION TOWNS: An Interview with Rob Hopkins

from transitionculture.org, the above interview transcript

Transition Towns - Wikipedia

Central to the Transition Town movement is the idea that a life without oil could in fact be far more enjoyable and fulfulling than the present "by shifting our mind-set we can actually recognise the coming post-cheap oil era as an opportunity rather than a threat, and design the future low carbon age to be thriving, resilient and abundant - somewhere much better to live than our current alienated consumer culture based on greed, war and the myth of perpetual growth."

(quote attributed to the Transition Town Westcliff website)


Added: (these two pages seem important to link here, they were hard for me to find on their homesite)

the official list:
Transition Towns/Cities/Di stricts

and the "mulling it over" list:
thinking hard

2 comments:

Ray K said...

I love this quote and it really gets to the heart of my interest in this movement

Tom (Mystics Meeting) said...

thanks Ray for the comment-

I realized for your mentioning that I didnt correctly attribute the quote - it is indeed on the Wikipedia page, but there it was attributed to the Transition Town Westcliff website

I also became curious if F/friends in Sheffield are doing this, which prompts me to add two more links here

the official list:
Transition Towns/Cities/Districts

and the "mulling it over" list:
thinking hard

I see Sheffield is "thinking hard"?

there are a few towns nearby me in southern New Hampshire who are also looking into this, one where I know some people who are very likely to be involved- so Im thinking of going and finding out where theyre at in the process- maybe lighting some fires here where I am as well!