I have friends who are Quakers, friends who are Unitarian Universalists, friends who Dialogue in the Bohmian tradition, friends who are Mystics, friends who are Poets, and so many other friends who live lives of wisdom and wonder... this is my account of the meeting with these friends...

Sunday, March 22, 2009

when I tell you that I am a sufi


when I tell you that I am a sufi
why do you want so badly to believe that its true?

when I tell you that Im a mystic
why does your eyebrow raise up?

when I tell you that Im a tree
why does your finger begin to reach for a book of names and addresses?

when I tell you that I love you
why do you begin searching the attic trunks, to see if there is
something old in there you can let me wear?

when I tell you that Im hungry
why does your stomach begin to clench?

when I tell you how Im feeling
why do you reach for the radio to turn to a song you like better?

when I tell you of years that vanish into cloudforms
why is a brighter light suddenly called for?

when I tell you of the closeness of the soil, beneath the foot of a mantis
why does your lower lip tremble from the word "god"?

when I tell you I am homeless
why do you feel a sudden need to travel to the sea?

when I tell you that one needle from a single norway spruce, is enough to brighten my thoughts
why do you ask me what I do for my living?

when I tell you of the song that Ive yet to write
why do you give me tales from your wedding night?

when I tell you what the spring breezes were trying to whisper to me
where did you think you would hide?

will you meet me now,
that you know what mysteries have poured from the heart?
can you still your cheek, or your eyelids, through one meal
and listen to the sound of the sun crossing the sky?

here is where it waits- here is where it was left for you to find
that very day you put the distance of three thousand lifetimes
between us

No comments: