I have friends who are Quakers, friends who are Unitarian Universalists, friends who Dialogue in the Bohmian tradition, friends who are Mystics, friends who are Poets, and so many other friends who live lives of wisdom and wonder... this is my account of the meeting with these friends...

Friday, January 16, 2009

Sincerity

sincerity

1546, from M.Fr. sincérité (1519), from L. sinceritatem (nom. sinceritas), from sincerus "sound, pure, whole," perhaps originally "of one growth" (i.e. "not hybrid, unmixed"), from sem-, sin- "one" + root of crescere "to grow" (see crescent). Ground sense is of "that which is not falsified."


my new friend tells me Im "nice"- 'Im a nice guy' he says... and that is so nice to have someone say- quite!

I wasnt always a nice guy... a good deal of looking at who and what I was has passed through here, and that looking seemed to manage to make some changes in this "me"...

but what I can tell you I always was- and still can attest for myself, is sincere...

the etym above will indicate some mystical roots to the word sincere- "to grow into one" - "to grow into wholeness" - "into the holy"- perhaps... yes, I can allow this for myself, from as far back as I can remember- to grow into one... if that is sincere, and I can see that it would be, then yes, I can allow this has always been here with me...

it seems then, sincere has led me to nice- and that is such a blessed thing, to have someone say...

I was asked yesterday by some folks that I dialogue with, what I thought it might be that makes profound change within us- is there some intention? they were suggesting, is there some will, to do the hard work of looking within oneself... I didnt use the word sincere in my response to the question, and I see that I will want to remember the word for next time... but I can see that I was with their question very sincerely- and whatever it was that I answered, was sincere... not just sincere in the desire to be honest with my answer, but sincere in this deeper sense, that to join the question of another (in this case an inquiry of "intention") is to grow into one, to move into wholeness...

this is a blessed thing, this sense of sincerity... Im going to continue to look at it, and how it informs the meeting...

No comments: